Østergård is a former agricultural farm located on the peninsula of Stevns south of Copenhagen in Denmark. Built in 1777, this four winged complex flanked a central courtyard. Around the 19th century, the most northern building disappeared leaving an empty plot ever since. To accommodate music and concert facilities, the lost wing will reemerge in a modern reinterpretation of the vernacular architecture of the region.
The new wing follows three principles:
-The proportions and heights of the existing buildings are continued.
-The new wing, respecting the boundaries of the original building, steps back from the existing wall. The facade facing the wall bends to allow for a sequence of narrow spaces that act as a buffer between the old and new construction
-The entire house is painted with white chalk, a local technique developed in the 17th century and widely used in the region ever since
Branches and tree trunks found on the property are mounted in patterns on the side walls of the music room. These act as acoustic panels to control sound levels within in the building.
In the evening, light from the setting sun will illuminate the sleeping area upstairs and filter into the music room. The guest bedroom looks westward onto the surrounding fields – a perfect spot to end the day.
- Stevns, Denmark
- 240m2 + 90m2